Stone angel trumpeter

Our History

Even before the Roman Catholic Diocese of Hamilton was formed in 1856, local Catholics were carrying out the tradition of burying their dead in consecrated ground reserved for members of the faith. "Pioneer parishes" in Guelph, Brantford, Dundas and Hamilton had churchyard cemeteries.

In 1871, Bishop Peter Crinnon purchased a 60-acre tract of land on the Hamilton/Burlington border for the establishment of Holy Sepulchre – the first Diocesan cemetery to serve all parishes.

With its reserved resting places for bishops, priests and religious sisters, Holy Sepulchre was the only Diocesan cemetery for more than 100 years.

Today's Catholic Cemeteries

  • A number of Diocesan cemeteries and smaller parish cemeteries whose operations have transferred to The Catholic Cemeteries throughout southern Ontario
  • The first mausoleum (Holy Souls, within Holy Sepulchre Cemetery) opened in 1979
  • Holy Cross Catholic Cremation Centre opened in 2003
  • Approximately 1,500 families are served annually

Send this page to a friend