Funerals and Cremation
People sometimes believe choosing cremation means there is no funeral. In fact, funeral arrangements and burial arrangements are two separate decisions.
You can still have a traditional funeral home visitation and a funeral Mass. The process* is usually as follows:
- A visitation/vigil is held at a funeral home
- A funeral Mass is celebrated
- The body is taken to the crematorium by the funeral home while a post-funeral reception is held
- Cremation takes place a day or two after the funeral
- The Rite of Committal takes place when the cremated remains are buried or entombed.
*Variations to the above process do take place. Please call us for information and assistance: 905-522-7727 or 1-800-661-5985.
Purchasing an Urn
A variety of cremation urns are available for purchase from The Catholic Cemeteries. "Urn" is the term used to describe any container for cremated remains.